Saturday 25 April 2009

Just how old is your stash??

At a workshop last week (the dreaded Smirk!), I had to tell the girls to be very careful about a certain piece of paper that they were using. I had cut them a piece each - big enough, but not a lot of margin for error. And there was none to spare in my bag. You see, generally, I pre-cut cardstock and papers and present workshopeers with a pack of materials ready for to use. This is for a couple of reasons - speed around the workshop table, and mainly because as crafters, we all know how to cut. You don't come to a workshop to learn how to cut paper and card to certain dimensions; the Slipper Lady and I know this to our cost. £17 to be exact, at a starbook workshop. We spent about 2/3rds of the time sharing cutting tools and cutting bits off bigger bits to make the pages. Then we had about 30 minutes left to learn a few techniques and decorate the 8 pointed (but not assembled) book. Pah. Waste of my time. Also, I HATE sharing tools. I do, and I'm always polite, but for heaven's sake, I'd rather just cut it at home and bring it in if you can't prepare it for me. Sorry. For the digression, not the opinion.
So, this paper. A4, hand painted look with white random polka dots. Love it. Love the randomness of the dots, only achieved by reproducing paper from a hand drawn original. I got it from my friends at The Crafthouse Press, probably two years ago when they launched the Patchwork Kingdom collection. I had about 10 sheets. Mostly unused until the point of delivering this workshop. Unused because I like it too much to use it. So I had to warn the girls not to make a mistake and need any more, because they weren't getting any. That would leave me hyper-ventilating and with less than 9 sheets. You see my point. Willowy Blonde, Sissy Dunnit and I went to Heidi Swapp's first Creative Escape in Arizona in 2006. We came back with a suitcase literally stuffed with stash, each. Honestly, we got more in freebies than the entire event cost us, for sure. So here we are, nearly 3 years later and I'm just coming around to using it. I did make a mini album from ONE piece of the signature 12 x 12 paper and some postcards in the same year, but everything else, even the Krylon pen for goodness sake, is untouched.
How long does it take you to get over the 'new'-ness of new stuff? Or is the real point that I have so much, and have access to so much, that I don't need to use it? This is uncomfortable territory. I know I have so much. I know some days I can't be bothered to look further than the top shelf, top inch of papers etc. A sure sign of being spoilt for choice, huh. And just being plain spoiled. I know. It's not just papers. Embellishments too - and the nicer they are, the less likely I am to use them at all, and certainly I won't be using them on anything to be given away. Sorry. If you've ever been in a swap with me, you may already know this! I'm over the Creative Escape stuff now, and am enjoying using it - I suspect though that part of the enjoyment is the smugness of using up 'old' stash. After all, I haven't failed to notice how trendy the 'make do' ethos is becoming. I'm on it, interweb!
Of course, there are exceptions to this - the LO pictured above. I did this on the same day that I bought the sheet of paper. It was a whim purchase, (Que Sera Sera range by K & Co), but I couldn't leave without it. I still can't quite believe how easy it was to make it fit what I wanted to do! Maybe that's why I have to wait so long before I can be 'over' something enough to use it - I have no imagination for it. Highly likely. The LO is actually the sample piece for the Ludgershall Crop's lesson session next weekend (ask me if you'd like details). If you look really carefully, you can see the reflection of the conservatory roof and my cardigan in the acetate window. Some photographer somewhere would kill for that skill. As for the imagination for it - this LO is a very twisted take on a 'window' LO I saw on Paula Pascual's blog last month. Go see. Most inspiring. As for the polka dot paper; I'm not over that yet, and I don't care how inspiring you find it, I can't share any more of it yet.

13 comments:

Hello, I'm Vicki said...

i have stash that is 3/4 years old and i have some newer stash......... i love it all still :D xxx

Angie said...

I have a mental turmoil over stash ... part of me cannot bear to use yummy new bits but on the other hand new stash inspires me !!!

Ginny said...

I have papers from when I first started out over 5 years ago, most of which I think is awful now...i have some Fave's which I love...my gf copies them for me..makes them go a LOT further...'specially when Im doing an album :0)

Anne said...

I'm determined to use up my stash. Partly from necessity (I'm trying to reign in my scrap spending a little bit) and partly because sometimes I look at all my stuff and it makes me feel sick. I have some paper from when I first started, which I just know I am never going to use. I just don't like it anymore (I'm sure I didnt have any taste at all when I first started). So I'm using that as wrapping paper now! The newer stuff I have which I love - I'm getting through. Making myself use it up - and you know, once I use it, I find I love it all over again. I'm only buying new paper in single sheets, as it was the big packs (like the K&Co pads) which really did for me - I buy it, I use a couple of sheets, and the rest just sits there. Ridiculous really.

Anyway, I love the sound of the polka dot paper. I think you were very brave to use it - but well done!

CoventryAnn said...

I know what Anniie means when she says she feels sick looking at stash you own, i do too, sick with guilt! I think i really must make greater inroads into it, and then go out and buy more, is it a real addiction???!

Luna Art said...

I do try to use my new stash, but like you i wont put anything 'special' on something to give away!!!
Loved reading your blog, it had me laughing out loud at your funny stories!!

Rachael Elliott said...

Hi Julia, just wanted to say thanks for popping over to my blog and leaving a comment. Thanks also for enlightening me about the the "balloon" sculpture!! It was amazing even more so I know that it is made of blown glass!!

jay670120 said...

I have paper as old as my youngest daughter shes nearly 4 ! but I am getting better and using more and more of my new bought papers. Maybe its just the fact I scrap more lately ! its my job now !

voodoo vixen said...

I think we need to put you somewhere that is no stash... none at all... you will start using all that stuff in no time at all! ;)

Its only paper.... honest!! LOL

John Cheyne said...

There is a solution to the "pink polka dot panic" the solution is on it's way to you

Sandie said...

I've purged all of my old stuff...gave tons of it away to chairty or to friends. When I move to the UK next month I'll have more bazzill crdstock (in every color of the rainbow)than you've seen in a store! But my printed papers...those I've peeled back, way back!

Ann said...

I've just found your blog and like the way you write. Made me smile.
I have some papers from 5 years ago still. The reason is not that I love it too much to use, but because it's so awful I could never use it on a layout now! Sometimes it's used to make envelopes for cards but I can't bring myself to just throw it away.
Ann

MadeByKarla said...

More than a year later, this post just popped out at me as I was reading your new post. That is exactly what was going on with me last year. I have things from 2003 and 2004 that I still haven't used! It's ridiculous. But I've made myself use what I have and I'm trying to give away stuff made with those 'special' embellishments, but only to special people that I know will cherish their gift. Now, if I really love something I buy 2 or 3 of it and then I don't have to worry about 'running out.' LOL. Looking at my stash used to make me sick too. Lol, I've gotten much better lately because I know that I will use what I have eventually...