Tuesday 14 April 2009

Smirk



These are the 4 cards to be made at the Workshop on Thursday. (Set aside the bad photo and cropping skills...those are on my huge 'things to improve before I die' list). I bought the stamps with the intention of using them in a workshop, and I only ever buy stuff that I like and want to keep. But oh boy, I had a LOT of trouble finding inspiration for these characters. I still feel actually that apart from stamp, colour and cut out, there's not much to be done with them. And they're too small to just sit on a card without exaggerating the proportion of everything else; good grief, not for the first time, I went off a range of stamps before I'd even had a chance to get ink on most of them. How strange. Am I alone? My collection is much smaller than it used to be, but nevertheless, my stamps talk to me - they say inspiring words when I look at them. But this lot are literally smirking at me because I don't quite 'get them'. Gawd, perhaps they're too young for me? Aaagh. Moment of realisation and awful epiphany - even craft has age related trends. Have to run, they aren't going to be allowed to sit on the shelf smirking at me because I'm too old, that's for sure!

9 comments:

Cricut Queen said...

They dont work for me either.
:-)

Claire said...

Those cards are lovely Julia.
x

Jo in Oz said...

Hi Julia, I've just won a whole load of Smirk stuff and said to my DH when it arrived "it's a bit young for me"!!! Glad I'm not alone then. Love your cards though and you have inspired me to give them a go. Thanks for replying to me on UKS. Jo (UKJOJO)

Ginny said...

great to see you giving the cards a go again, cute images. last craft show I was at I was looking at some small stamps and said to the lady next to me..what would i use these for? she suggested several to make a border or use them like inchies and put several into llike a collage/quilted effect?

Sandie said...

I don't know if the stamps are "too young", I think it's more that as we get older or as I like to refer to it as "more experienced" that our tastes change. They are sweet cards that any you girl would be delighted to receive!

CoventryAnn said...

I bought and used a small amount of Smirk stash for my 17 year old daughters birthday card. i didn't post the pic on my blog as i wasn't too happy with it. Same for my anniversary card i will be giving OH tomorrow.. i don't know why i make good cards for all but the most important people in my life.. maybe i'm trying too hard? So yep, i'd say Smirk is for those under a certain age!

Julie said...

Great cards. thx for your comments on my blog. I used bran flakes as they were in the house and bit healthier then corn flakes but there was no difference the choc looks darker thats all. My 15 year old now prefers those cakes with bran flakes.

Unknown said...

I love these characters. Great job. Thanks for your comment on my own blog. When I read your post I realised my stamp is the Stampendous one - not Penny Black! x

Anne said...

Hmmm. I saw these stamps at the Stitch and Craft show, and thought more or less the same as you. Cute images, but what on earth would I do with them? So I left them. Maybe I'm getting to be more selective (at last!) these days.