Monday 1 March 2010

Well now, I just whizzed through my Google reader and decided that I need to get fresh air before I settle in for a good read. But, Angie's post caught my eye and here I am explaining myself! I've been having a think about this for a while....Angie has been inking and spraying and stamping and squirting and frankly, getting down and dirty fingered with it. And the tags that she's shown us are just fab. And certainly not in the seven shades of wee wee that so often crop up with these techniques.
I think despite my 'need to be creative' dahlink, I'm limited by my skill. So I think that in order to make my time pay off with a decent result, I avoid this sort of 'try this and see where it takes you' stuff. No doubt that as I approach my desk, I have an idea in mind that I want to at least get close to finishing. I also usually have a picture in my head that I want to commit to the card or layout. No doubt that the extent of my frustration is always merely that what comes onto the paper is frequently no match for what's in my head. Is there an exercise - you know - jiggle your head and flop your arms around, warm up style - to allow me to let these images out and approach the desk with a blank and creatively open mind? I do not know.
Could it be that I don't work this way because most of what I do is procrastinated for so long that I can only be creative to some sort of a deadline and therefore do not have (what appears to me to be) 'experimental' time? Possibly, for a lot of that is true (!). Or could it be that, despite all the proof that I offer every Wednesday, I just can't bear the mess? Actually, I have a feeling it's a combination of the two. Angie, send me some vibes, I wanna get into that zone and try it out. Then I can get over it or add it to my 'range'.
But I don't want to clear up. Which is why I'm going out for a walk now. If you're booked into the day long Workshop sessions at Japonica in Exmouth this month, you will be delighted to learn that I'm avoiding clearing up after cutting chopping measuring and checking stock for 44 kits. See, told you I need fresh air.

9 comments:

Carmen said...

See now Craig wishes I didn't get sucked into all these experimental things :P I keep zig zagging off all over the place on a different tangent. I am so easily distracted and sucked in. I quite often say I'm going to end up a Jack (or Jill) of all crafts - master of none! *g*

I loved Angies post today too - weren't her tags gorgeous?

Angie said...

Thank you JD ...and Carmen for your kind words about my tags. I have to say that the mess was something to behold and it still is not properly put way ... much to the horrer of those that share the table at the moment. Also .... Why is it the phone rings when a pile of stamps and paper are about to cascade over the wet art work you have just created???.

Vicki is a tidy person and I see her twitching at my mess but she does really messy things .... and cleans it up straight away.
I too think I'm a '....master of none' because I want to know about everything and have a go before I know what I'm doing lol

Sorry for the long comment xx

Unknown said...

oh go on Julia - get dirty just for the pure pleasure of your blogging followers - we'd all love to see it - I vote we have a vote on it!!!

Paula x x x

Hello, I'm Vicki said...

thought i'd come comment.....

i LOVE making mess... but yes Angie is right - i do tidy up right away!!! hehe. You just have to let yourself go, have fun and make mess - you'll love it. Good luck and I look forward to seeing some inky projects really soon xxx

Paige said...

I'm off over to see these tags right now :)
re: your staying calm comment earlier, I have to for the girls if I panic and freak out so will theya nd really they do all the hard work it's just up to me to rub their backs and weigh the pups as they come out with a heck of a lot of waiting around inbeween births :)

Ann said...

It's like the Stamps-With-No-Faces, you talk about, Julia. People either like that style or they don't! Give the grungy stuff a try and see if you like doing it. Just don't buy the WHOLE RANGE (like some people have revealed in their WOYWW photos) in case it's not for you.
Sorry, I'm just jealous of their Stash ;)

Liverpool Lou (Anne) said...

You should definitely give it a go, you never know you might just like it :) Love what you've done here, is that chair a stamp? - beautiful if it is.
Anne xx

Liverpool Lou (Anne) said...

See the time there? Can't sleep!
xxx

Annie said...

I'm there with Paula...I vote you get down and dirty and make sure you blog it :-)
A x