Thursday 17 February 2011

Just do it........

I was browsing our (my) photo files earlier this evening and came across this, which was I think an entry into Laura's crop CJ from bloomin' ages ago when we all had the strength to take on such things. I still quite like it, mostly because it makes me smug to say that I've had so many monumentally good days that I can't pick just one. I know, you're gagging. But it's true, so there. Anyway, it led me back to the talk that's been sort of rumbling along recently amongst blogs that I visit - and oh, I do try so hard to visit thousands! I know not why, but there's been a very subtle shift and I feel that quite a few of us are enjoying our crafting for the sake of it. Not to meet a class deadline, a DT commitment or to enter a challenge, but just to spend some down time, playing with some sort of stash. It's a good thing. I think in this internet inspired, driven, consumed world, it's nice to be able to take a breath and simply do something creative for the sake of it. Recently as you know, because I have to brag about it, I've made a couple of albums and even a handful of cards that I wouldn't normally have tried or even thought of - presents for people whom I would normally buy a gift for. It's not an increased confidence in my ability - far from it - it's just the need to make something. And OK, once made, not have it sit around collecting dust at my house. But isn't it rather nice, sometimes, to lose sight of the deadline, the birthday, the basket of cards for sale and just make something because you can? Mr Dunnit once made a violin to see if he could. I am never going to go that far, but I've messed about with stamps and inks outside my comfort zone this week and pulled off a decent attempt....and enjoyed it. And since I enjoyed it, I can give it an end game and do some 'for real' without fear of wasting valuable desk time, which is usually my motivator! So, whatever the weather, over the weekend, set yourself a teeny goal - sit at your desk and craft for yourself. See if you can get back to where you started. Go ahead - just do it.

Oh and in act of shameless publicity - worse than witnessed on this weeks WOYWW, please may I draw your attention to the 2 Scrap Ladies blog, we've finalised some event dates that some of you might like to know about.

20 comments:

donnalouiserodgers said...

JD I am making plans for 104 - shameless act of self indulgence.. and Shit it has a deadline - oh sorry bad word....ah and I am number one comment yay I made number one on your blog... yay

Elizabeth said...

Hi Julia, how perceptive of you to notice that many of us have been just crafting for crafting's sake. I've whiled quite a few hours this week Cuttlebugging and enjoying experimenting with colours and textures to see what it looks like when embossed. And, yes and, I plan to waste more this weekend just doing it with the brayer and some inkpads and will no doubt enjoy it all immensely. I'm off now to see what you 2 scrap ladies are going to be up to. Elizabeth x

Pam said...

Amen to that observation and I think you are spot on as always. BTW and FYI, I read your blog for fun - you are my down time ;)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Hey dear friend,

You have won one of my bird collages. There are four and I suggest you get there soon and pick the one you want. Then send me an e-mail and let me know which one you pick.

Elizabeth and Bleubeard helped

Helen said...

I love to make things for the sake of it. We should do MORE of it!! Love your album and that you couldn't choose just one of those days - and why not!

Fiona said...

I agree with you Julia - I've started crafting again - not because I have to but because I felt I wanted to and its been such a buzz receiving encouraging words from fellow bloggers and crafters - I spent an afternoon yesterday with a blogging friend I met through my inchy challenge and it was so nice just to sit chat and craft and she helped me over a mental block. Sometimes like you say with the deadlines and pressure of the internet - we lose sight of why we crafted in the first place x

Scrapcat 1 said...

I aslo enjoy the crafting for the sake of the crafting, I take part in the challenges that are on the various blogs to give me some direction, a starting point if you like, if I don't make all the challenges that week I don't worry about it. love the album and I couldn't choose just one day either

Karen said...

Oh Julia, you are so so right!!! I have noticed this too. Its far more satisfying to make something for yourself or just to see if you can. Mind you, I have been doing a lot of that lately & getting behind on my deadlines (actually...the fact that the word 'dead' is in there says a lot for my mojo hahaha) HUGS XXX

MaggieC (Silvercrafter) said...

Oh yes, you are so right, Julia. Deadlines can stifle creativity and enjoyment. That is one reason why I do not do cards for sale - I don't mind the odd one or two for friends. Once I have done the cards I need for the coming month, then I give myself permission to play. Often the play results become cards for special people later on, but only after I have had fun doing them. Craft is supposed to be a hobby, not a tyrant ruling our lives. Craft should equal fun. Have fun, everyone. I shall - once I have finished this shawl - only 230 rows to go.

HeARTworks said...

Yes it's fabulous how we get inspired and encouraged and more brave just by visiting each other and commenting, and exchanging ideas. It's a wonderful community we have, and I believe more will be encouraged to "just do it" when they see examples of ordinary women doing extraordinary things and enjoying it!

Claire said...

I love crafting for the sake of crafting, I also love baking for the sake of baking LOL
Love the mini book page
C
xx

Simple homemade living said...

I have made myself craft for the sake of crafting lately you are very observent I must say Julia.

I love the page in my CJ I actually got it off thye shelf and had a nose through it this evening. I think we should do another one........

Laura x

jude said...

I have started to this also Julia just as i want ot try different things .Plus i think theres nothing nicer than a handmade gift!I take piccys of all of them if challenge comes up later it fits i enter it in.But im experimenting with Beeswax at the moment thanks to the lovely Hels and her article in stamp crafter just doing it for my enjoymentand cause i want to.You are so write alot crafters do craft just for challenges and DT work.
Pop over to my blog i have some Tim holtz candy on offer
have fab wekend hugs judex

Ciara said...

I've noticed that since the new year a lot of us have been playing; I figure it's down to a combination of new stash & the pressure of all those Christmas cards going away. Whatever the reason, it's jolly good fun!

airing cupboard crafts said...

Forgot to say thank you fo rthe link but it had closed by the time I got there x x

Unknown said...

Someone after my own heart. I'm suffering from whiplash at the moment so its hard to enter anything. Instead I've been messing with inks, creating backgrounds and printing photos. When my back allows me to spend more than 30 minutes crafting I'll put them to good use. Meanwhile I'll keep experimenting!

Kathy said...

Sometimes I have found myself thinking "what can I make, there's nothing due...." and I have a little panic because actually I've forgotten how to make something just for the sheer joy of doing it. That's not to say I don't love making the things people ask me to do - just that it's important to keep in tune with your own ideas, style and just do it for fun! That's why I made my little Rose bowl the other day - mind you, I was actually doing that when I should have been doing other things but you know what? I didn't care, I was having fun!

karen said...

Great layout here in your picture! That is fantastic that you have many monumental days, I don't think it is bragging, just being thankful for what you have!
And you are so observant to see that many are crafting jut for the sake of crafting! I am doing just that with my art journaling as my journals will not be given to anyone, just for me to learn, have fun and enjoy.

And I wanted to say thank you so much for becoming a follower on my blog! I am so very very honored!

xoxo Karen

Unknown said...

One Day...you got me thinking, all those one days that become fantastic memories. Thanks so very much for sharing. I'm going to head into my craft room and create just for fun...I've been wanting to work on a black/white and red card forever...I'll share when it's finished.
Have a great week...

oneoff said...

I love the separation of making for business and making for me (art journaling and collage are the "me" things). Your One Day list really made me smile; isn't it great to have so many treasures to remember.

Bx