Friday 22 December 2017

Keeping Christmas real: sudden purchasing

Now that I have photo ID, I decided to visit and confirm my membership of Costco. (It's a store that sells wholesale - so in many cases you have to buy bulk or multiples). Yesterday, en route to visit my dear Mama and my lovely Sissy, I did the deed. Turns out half of Farnborough was also visiting Costco. I mean seriously, shouldn't these hundreds and hundreds of people be at work? After all, it's my day off! 
I've been to Costco a few times with my sister, so I knew what to expect, and am frankly so damn shopped out this month that I just wanted to get the Membership sorted and pick up some fizzy drinks for the duration. Well, I was immediately side-tracked. A display of large outdoor-proof baubles were in my line of vision and calling my name. I had to get a young man to help me get the tube out of the box, so my excitement must have been evident, because usually if my stature prevents ease (of anything), I don't bother!
If we're hooked up on Facebook, you know that I was so excited by them that I only managed to get as far as the car park before I photographed them in the boot of the car! Lovely, cheerful stuff. The tray of cans of coke, sack of potatoes and bottles of cider were still in the trolley at this point, nowhere near as interesting! Now, we do have a nice Christmas tree every year, but in no way could it support such big baubles; weight is not the issue of course, it's all in the proportion. So for now, and because I have to use them, I've slung them over the opening panel of the front door. They look fab (in my opinion) and this gives us the chance to enjoy them whilst I noodle over what I'll do with them next year.

Needs snow and lights really.....
Turns out that this might be the best side-tracked spontaneous purchase of the year. Has anyone ever left a big box store at this time of year with only that which they intended to buy? I expect Mr Dunnit is relieved that we haven't been in the US at any point near enough to winter to have Christmas decorations available to buy, I can easily imagine going quite over the top!

8 comments:

Helen said...

well I think your big baubles are fab! you were very restrained I think; and they look great on your front door.

shazsilverwolf said...

I think that's a brilliant place for the baubles, they look fab. Don't think I've ever been shopping anywhere and only left with what I went in for,lol. Doug would probably not survive the shock. Love & hugs, xxxx

Sue said...

Hi Julia, Nice baubles;) I wonder if there is a limit to how many baubles you can bring into the country:) LOL

The garden centre near me is having a 50% sale of their decorations starting Wednesday, so I may nip over early and see what's on offer.

Hope you are on schedule and able to relax, Sue

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

I can see why those baubles caught your eyes, Julia! They're quite spectacular - I've never seen big ones like those before. We're all guilty of impulse purchases - some of my best purchases have been done on impulse. Sometimes my rational mind stops me from impulse buying and then inevitably I end up regretting it! You have to believe that serendipity put those things in your path and you have to grab the opportunity when it presents itself! Happy preparations!xx

Anonymous said...

we don't have that store but if we did I would go buy some of those lol,,

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

We have a Costco here, but I don't have a membership. Those are adorable baubles and they are in the perfect spot, in my opinion. But what got me was your lawn was still green and your garden hose was still out. Mine has been rolled up for over a month so it doesn't freeze. Your weather must be fabulous, even though I've heard it has been cold and snowy there. Yes, I've gone to Sam's (similar to Costco) and ended up getting side-tracked. I know how easy it is to get pulled in by shiny impulse buys!

Elizabeth said...

Love the big baubles. I need some too! Having been out picking up Christmas from M&S on Frantic Friday, I can identify with your shopping experience. It's madness. Asda even had people out in the carpark directing traffic, it was so bad. Hugs, Elizabeth xx

Cara said...

Darn it, I think I need at try to Costco for some baubles now! Have a fabulous Christmas lovely lady x